Sunday, March 22, 2009

Simplifying...



In most cases I have found the old saying "less is more" to be absolutely true. And it sure does seem to apply to scrapbooking as well. My favorite scrapbook artist when I first started was Becky Higgins who is known for the art of simplicity. Take a look at her books, "Sketches" (several volumes available), or her monthly article in Creating Keepsakes. Now, though, I do appreciate the complexity of some other artists like Ali Edwards and Elizabeth Kartchner.

So...when it came time for me to FINALLY get a page done, (it's been forever since I've really sat down and scrapbooked) I relied on the art of simplicity to get me through. I really feel that starting off with the right foundation can get you going. Which is why I used a classic base...used frequently by Ali and Becky. Just 4 blocks - using pictures and paper. The perfect start. I chose the busiest paper first (the floral and paisley print by My Minds Eye). Then I dug in my patterned scraps for matching accent patterns. Next, I worked outward, taking each block separately. I pulled out some accents that worked with the paper I chose. That's definitely one thing you'll notice about me. I'm a sucker for the generic products. Letter stickers (of all shapes and colors), plastic or chipboard flowers and shapes, brads, and diecut labels/journaling boxes. Show it to me and I'll buy it! I like to scatter accents around my worktable, trying this and that until it feels just right.

I like to make my accents work together which is why I chose flowers and plastic - notice I used these same items on two of the blocks. For the block with the busiest paper, I left mostly accent-free...just journaling. Don't get me wrong, I love to use the computer for journaling. But sometimes I'm just too lazy. Plus a little handwriting here and there makes it so much more personal. And that's just about it. I popped up two of the blocks, added a little ink to the edges, and done.

Product Listing:
Paper - (white) The Papercut; (orange) Scenie Route; (yellow) unknown; (paisley/floral) My Minds Eye
Accents - (chipboard flower, "BFF" clear letters; clear flower) Heidi Swapp; (sunflower button) American Crafts; (sun bubble sticker) KI Memories; (brads) Doodlebug; (diecut journal labels) My Minds Eye; (title letter stickers) Making Memories; (marker) Slick Writer - AC; (ink) Archival by Ranger

No comments: