Saturday, May 23, 2009

DIY accents!

Okay, so by now you've probably realized I tend to stick to pre-made, ultra-cute and easy embellishments. But...there are sometimes that I go out on a limb and MAKE MY OWN. I'm featuring two on the page below - 1) Center heart/key/lock accents and 2) Title block element (see close-ups below).

















This was another instance where my Spellbinders Nestabilities dies came in handy! Seriously, there are NOT just for cardmakers...though they work great for that too ;) The base for my first accent was a layer oval/scallop oval cut in two different patterned papers. I popped up the entire piece with 3D dots. To create the accent, I took a glossy chipboard heart, concho-style "lock" and metal key accent. I played around until it looked right and attached them down with glue dots. The second accent came from the inspiration of the page which features rectangle blocks with houses and hearts. To recreate this image, I diecut a house using my Cricut Create and layered on multiple papers. Additional elements of this embellishment include a metal sticker heart and brass brads. I also wanted to include the title below the picture block. This was made by layering various patterns and cardstocks and then adhering down the chipboard letters. I used brads to accent the title along with another diecut oval/scallop oval to emphasize the "S" in the title. I added a tag to signify the date and a chipboard heart to tie everything together. Also note that I used both upper and lower case letters in the title. This isn't only a design-feature...I do it to save on letters!




Supply Listing:
Paper - (Craft cs) unknown; (teal cs) Worldwin; (cream pattern) Basic Grey; (red dot) Bo Bunny; (Home words background) Love, Elsie by KI Memories
Accents - (keyhole concho, key charm) Joann; (glossy chipboard hearts and chipboard letters) Heidi Swapp; (metal heart) Colorbok; (brads) Making Memories
Tools - (scallop border punch) EK Success; (house diecut) Cricut - Don Juan cartridge; (oval/oval scallop and tag diecut) Spellbinders; (photo corner diecut) Quickutz

No comments: