Saturday, August 15, 2009

Still here...

I'm sure you thought I forgot how to scrapbook...or upload to my blog. Something that kept me away for almost 3 months! Nope, just been busy is all. Enjoying the few months of nice weather we get here in Eau Claire, WI. But last weekend (in celebration of my birthday) my sister, mom, and I stayed the weekend at Green Haven Retreat. I enjoyed MANY hours of uninterrupted scrapbooking time and have some brand spankin' new pages to share!


















This page was totally inspired by another Ali Edwards layout (featured in an old Studio A CK column). Loved the idea of making the background a TEXTURE rather than using color and/or pattern. Her layout used a black background, but I wanted something a tad more neutral - kraft was perfect. I started by diecutting varying sizes of circles using my Spellbinders Nestabilities dies and my Cuttlebug. Next, I gathered several pictures of Adam and I from different times and places in order to find a couple which were "croppable". These were also cut into circles using the dies. The main photo was originally a 5x7 print...however, it featured us holding our "mini bowling balls" which DID NOT evoke quite the right mood for the page, so I cropped it to be longer than it was taller.


Many of the elements were more trial and error than anything. I wanted to add pops of color and texture but not overwhelm the overall neutral feel of the page. I choose a Basic Grey pattern, a deep brown cardstock, and a bright pink cardstock to match both the colors in the main photo (i.e. my shirt) and our wedding colors (sort of the basis for the page). I kept the accents simple and consistent with circles, felt flowers, and brads. To add the final bit of dimension, all of the circles are popped up with foam squares. (This took a while! My secret to keeping the rows as straight as possible? I cut strips of cardstock and temporarily adhered them down, lining up the circles above them. When the row was done, I removed the strip and started a new row.)

Supplies:
Paper - (kraft cardstock) Papercut; (brown and pink cardstock) Bazzill Basics; (white journaling cardstock) Georgia Pacific (brown/pink pattern) Basic Grey;
Accents - (felt flowers) Stampin' Up!; (golden brads) Making Memories; (gemstones) Joann; ("us" acetate) Heidi Swapp; (gem flower) Kaiser Craft
Tools - (scallop and plain circles) Spellbinders; (funky circles and heart diecuts) Cuttlebug; (scallop border punch) Stampin' Up!

No comments: